BrainWorking Recursive Therapy® (BWRT®)
Informed Consent to Treatment
BrainWorking Recursive Therapy® is a neuroscience-based process that has been shown to be useful to help reduce or alleviate the symptoms, and causes of symptoms, associated with Anxiety, Phobias, PTSD, Depression, Low confidence, Low self-esteem, and many other psychological issues. It works in a unique way to ‘defuse’ the psychological triggers of the symptom pattern before they reach the part of the brain that activates the emotional responses. In this way the symptom is either alleviated or greatly reduced in severity. BWRT® mimics the way the brain and psyche acquire the difficulty in the first place and is therefore a totally natural process. The work does not require you to divulge any intimate details of your personal life or of any event that you wish to keep private that might have been the cause of your symptom. While no therapy in the world works for everybody every time, BWRT® is considered by many to be among the most reliable of psychological methodologies.
BrainWorking Recursive Therapy® was discovered in 2011 by Terence Watts, MCGI, a UK therapist, author and trainer in full-time private practice since 1989. After development and many practical trials with volunteers, BWRT® was taught for the first time in October 2013. One of the first students of the new technique was South African Clinical Psychologist Rafiq Lockhat whose extensive experience in the world of psychology led to him being quickly appointed as Terence’s research partner and ‘Mr BWRT South Africa.’ Terence and Rafiq continued to refine the process into the elegant system that it is today.
All trainers of this relatively new model of psychopathology are selected by The Terence Watts BWRT Institute and all adhere to the same training programme to ensure, as far as possible, consistency in technical expertise across the globe.
Carmel Semple was trained by Terence Watts in London and has successfully completed BWRT ® Level 1, Level 2 (Advanced) and BWRT ® Master Coach trainings.
By signing below, you confirm that you understand and accept the following:
- BWRT® is designed to help neutralise triggers for the symptom(s) you experience. There are
three levels of BWRT® and your practitioner will ask you some questions that will help them
decide which is the most appropriate level for you.
- There are a few conditions and situations in which BWRT® is not a suitable therapy and when
this is the case, the practitioner will advise you accordingly.
- The number of sessions you will need vary according to several circumstances and the
practitioner will advise you where possible. Many situations respond well to between one
and four sessions, though some more serious issues may need more.
- You will not have to tell the practitioner any personal details you would rather keep private
(save for clause 6, below) but there are some situations when secrets might inhibit therapy.
The practitioner will advise you if this is the case.
- If your presenting problem could be caused by a medical or physiological condition, you will
need to have had a medical consultation before working with BWRT®.
- If you have experienced any previous psychological illnesses of conditions, whether or not
they received or required medical intervention, you will ensure the practitioner is made fully
aware of the details.
- Straightforward issues such as smoking cessation, phobias, fears and specific anxieties will
not normally need any medical consultation before BWRT®.
- There is no need for prolonged investigation into your early (childhood) years but if you feel
they might have a bearing on your symptom, you can tell the practitioner and they will take
that into account.
- If your symptom was triggered by a past situation or trauma, you will be required to recall it
for just a few seconds so that the degree of discomfort can be accessed via the Perceived
Arousal Level (PAL). This also allows assessment of the degree of improvement after the
process has been applied.
- The practitioner may sometimes use their voice in a way that sounds unusual or strange to
you. This need not concern you and is just part of the BWRT® Process.
- There are several different ways that BWRT® can be conducted and the practitioner will be
able to make the best choice for you and your presenting issue.
- If the symptom or difficulty for which you are seeking help is part of, or likely to be part of,
any legal proceedings, please take legal advice before embarking on treatment, since BWRT®
changes your perception and responses to past events.
By signing below, you confirm that you have read and understood the above information and that
you subsequently consent to BWRT® for your condition.